login
login
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Open discussion for kid's at our June Nero event  (Read 2048 times)

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Open discussion for kid's at our June Nero event
« on: May 17, 2017, 09:23:44 AM »
Nero Friends with Children

A while back the notion of having a family friendly event became an active discussion.  We found that there were a lot of players who had an interest in sharing Nero with their children.  So we have designated the June event as our family event.

But let me first say that we will go through great pains to ensure that the presence of children doesn't detract from anyone else's experience.  So please don't let the idea of this be a deterrent if you aren't terribly fond of children or Nero is your escape from those parts of life.

The following notes are details or ways we intend to make this event a success and fun for everyone.

1.  For this to be a success we need to have a minimum number of children committed to attend.  The children's plot will have a target age range of 3-10.  Children will be allowed to attend at no cost.  If we fail to reach the minimum number of committed children we will operate the event in normal fashion.

2.   There will be a separate plot team for the children.  While their adventures may intersect with yours at times, they are expected to operate away from the primary action.

3.  Children's NPCs will be clearly marked.  Children will not engage in combat with players or regular NPCs.  Children may not loot for you or otherwise engage in in-game activities unless they meet the minimum age requirements of 14 to be combatant.

4. We will attempt to house all families in one area to keep families with children together.  Other individuals may be housed in that area if desired, as space allows. 

5.  We expect that the bulk of the children's activities will take place during the day on Saturday.

6.  Tavern will be 10.00 cost for children and regular price for all adults.

Please let us know if you are interested in making this happen. I know our Nero family has been growing with lots of new kids. It would be great to see some of our old friends again.

Steve

Wulffe

• Invested
    • View Profile
Re: Open discussion for kid's at our June Nero event
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2017, 09:43:29 AM »
It has been mentioned before that we are an "R" rated event at most times.  I'm assuming that this will be toned down for a children's event?
Sir Wulffe Silvermane
Knight of Greyhelm
Former Farmer
Adventurer of Tyrangel

Casmodius Hawthorn

• Invested
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2017, 10:11:48 AM »
I've got four potential interests for this, but I share Wulffe's concern. I think it could be very fun and help get future players hooked.
Casmodius Hawthorn, Wizard extraordinaire

Nothing is impossible. Discretion promised. Prices negotiable.

Feylin

• Invested
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2017, 01:39:09 PM »
The plan is to keep kids somewhat isolated so it doesn't negatively impact the rest of the players.  Plus the kids certainly won't be up for all hours of the evening.

But invariably there will be some overlap.  I think if the players can make a reasonable effort to stay PG-13 when around the kids we should be OK.

Anastasia_Arimonte

• Invested
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2017, 03:21:33 PM »
We have one little girl who comes to moster and we all do a great job at being respectful when she is around. I think its a great idea :)
~*Anastasia Arimonte*~

Raven_Arimonte

• Invested
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2017, 04:26:07 PM »
I will say this. We plan for there to be Zero impact on the level of gameplay and content for our normal players. The kids will be mostly in their own zone and that area will be a much softer version of the game in regards to language, content and interaction. The rest of the camp site will remain unchanged and the plot lines, time tables and content will be just as gritty and biting as you are used to. That being said, I would hope that you guys would occasionaly go and let the little ones see you in your costumes and what have you. If you chose to do that, then you would be expected to act accordingly. If you dont have a desire or want to visit with them at all you will not be forced too. Some folks deal with children as their job and come to nero as an escape or vacation and our intention is to keep that level of immersion for them. Other than opening ceremonies Im betting most players wont even realize the Children event is going on in the background!

Kaeleigh

• Invested
    • View Profile
    • Illusion Crafts
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2017, 07:46:20 AM »
An "R" rated game?  When did this happen?  NERO, as a brand, is a PG 13 game and anything else would be a violation of policy and begin a slippery slope that I don't think we should attempt to maneuver.
Kaeleigh MacWilliam, Order of Ravenoak
Guildmistress of Greyhelm
Keeper of the Grand Library, Gold Haven Library and the Library of Arcane Knowledge
Student of Knowledge & Nature
Librarian by trade and by heart
Lover of Xavier MacWilliam
KoL #448

Owl de Danaan

• Ru'eeno
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2017, 02:26:20 PM »
I caught wind of this at the NERO Atl event this past weekend. I'm not sure if I can make this happen but assuming I can:

I have 4 that I can bring ages 5, 9, 11, and 17. Will the 11 year old fall into the free event category, and will he be able to take part in the kids area? Obviously the 17 year old isn't an issue but didn't want one son to fall through the cracks.

Also does this site have a good bit of shade? I took them to the June event in Atlanta last year and it was miserable because there was nowhere to hide from the Sun.

Thaddius

• Invested
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2017, 02:49:54 PM »
as a player i can answer lots of shade and AC in tavern  normally real cool less humidity than atl. as for the other questions i cant answer them sorry but i will inform a senior member to take a look and answer your questions.

Raven_Arimonte

• Invested
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2017, 03:45:06 PM »
I think what is meant by R rated was the sacrifices and the fake blood and things like that.

Raven_Arimonte

• Invested
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2017, 03:47:27 PM »
And I believe the 11 year old would fall into the kids area and thus the kids pricing block so no worries there!

Casmodius Hawthorn

• Invested
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2017, 12:35:11 PM »
I meant R rated because of the heavy nature of the campaign, it's quite dark and gruesome. Also language, but not so much the last few events. I suppose it's more of a harsh PG-13.
Casmodius Hawthorn, Wizard extraordinaire

Nothing is impossible. Discretion promised. Prices negotiable.

Daelith

• Invested
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2017, 10:23:53 PM »
Ill be bringing my 3 year old

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2017, 11:49:46 AM »
Yes your 11 yo would be free. And considering we have young players there on a regular basis, I have not seen or heard anything that would be offensive, especially during the day. But even so, we are keeping the groups separate except maybe during feast. And typically we have an hour of roleplay only then anyways to give our NPCs a break.
The one time an NPC did slip and say something inappropriate (even among adults) he was reprimanded and has not done it since.
The basic premise of NO Religion or religious symbols of any kind helps to prevent most things parents would find offensive. Everything is pretty much explained as Magic and therefore make-believe.
Everyone is here to have fun and I or one of my staff are always available if anyone has an issue or something they are uncomfortable about. They can come to us and we will do whatever is necessary to maintain everyone's enjoyment of the event.

Steve Reid
Owner, NeroSC