login
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Moving the PC cabins. Good or Bad idea?  (Read 8211 times)

dukratha

• NERO SC Staff
    • View Profile
Moving the PC cabins. Good or Bad idea?
« on: April 11, 2014, 05:22:24 PM »
Some of us have had issues with the location of the PC camp being so close to Monster town, and I wanted to check with our player base to see what they thought about moving to a different set of cabins.

There are two other sets of cabins.  One is down hill from the tavern, and next to the lake.  In the summer this would be good because you will get a nice cool breeze.  I think they might be doing some work to some of the cabins though.  I will check at the upcoming event.

The other set of cabins, is across the field from the front of the tavern.  I don't know too much about this part of the site, but I will find out more at the event.

What do the PCs think?
-David Z
NERO SC Staff

Kaeleigh

• Invested
    • View Profile
    • Illusion Crafts
Re: Moving the PC cabins. Good or Bad idea?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2014, 09:22:05 PM »
Ravenoak has already taken up residence in the large one by the lake, behind the bath house, so this move doesn't effect us except to have neighbors which is always welcome.  I warn people though that climbing up and down that hill can be brutal at times.

The other site, on the other side of the tavern, is ok but I don't think as nice as the ones PCs have been using.  The cabins there are in bad shape,

Kaeleigh MacWilliam, Order of Ravenoak
Guildmistress of Greyhelm
Keeper of the Grand Library, Gold Haven Library and the Library of Arcane Knowledge
Student of Knowledge & Nature
Librarian by trade and by heart
Lover of Xavier MacWilliam
KoL #448

Daelith

• Invested
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2014, 04:54:17 AM »
I'm thinking of putting the Alchemy Shop and guild down in the cabins near the lake.

Kaeleigh

• Invested
    • View Profile
    • Illusion Crafts
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2014, 10:02:28 AM »
Can I ask what prompted this change?
Keeper of the Grand Library, Gold Haven Library and the Library of Arcane Knowledge
KoL #448

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2014, 12:37:27 PM »
This is NOT a change... This is just a survey to see if players are bothered by having MC so close. Bothered enough to choose other cabins.

But our policy has been that players are free to choose from any of the open cabins in any of the three groups.

Advantages:  Uphill (unit C) : nicest cabins, easiest walk. second best bathhouse (1 shower)
                      Downhill (unit B): questionable cabins, uphill walk to Tavern, worst bathhouse (no shower
                                     but kinda close to main bathhouse); most isolated from Monster Camp.
                      Lakeside (unit A): OK cabins, hard hill walk up, best bathhouse (10+ showers)

Kaeleigh

• Invested
    • View Profile
    • Illusion Crafts
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2014, 03:01:09 PM »
My words were not chosen carefully.  I only meant what prompted this discussion?  Is there construction scheduled somewhere?  Is it a plot thing?  Request from the rangers?  Just wondering.
KoL #448

Coulter

• Invested
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2014, 04:40:32 PM »
Having used all of the cabins in the past I can honestly say the aside from safety issues (a hole in the floor of a cabin in area 2) any cabin that has a bed will suit me just fine, so long as I have a broom ;).

Jokes aside, I have no preference for which area is used. I would however like to see a more cohesive town image. I did not get the feeling that our play area was representative of a town. This may be because the players were spread out, there was a large out of play building that we were supposed to ignore, right next to the focal point of the town. It may also be that I was simply not shown around the town and told about the various locations.

Because I don't believe in handing some one a problem with out a solution I can make a suggestion or two. I would suggest that no matter which set of buildings we choose to use, they all be closer together, unless there is an IP reason. It doesn't so much matter if this is Lake Town (area 3) or Low Town (area 2) or both, just so long as it is clear to any new player that "This is the town, and monsters live outside the town". Alternately, (and probably just because I am a giant nerd) an in game map could be created showing what the town proper is, and anything outside of this could be considered wild land where only mad men, and monsters live.

Having re-read my solutions I suppose I would be in favor of moving the player lodgings to the lower portion of the camp, and creating a obvious town center.
Sergeant Aberdeen
27th Regiment, Evendarr Royal Marines
Director, Greyhelm Intelligence Working Group

Kaeleigh

• Invested
    • View Profile
    • Illusion Crafts
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2014, 04:56:53 PM »
Your first impressions of the "town" bother me.  May I suggest, Coulter, that with having only played one game in "Greyhelm," that your view isn't typical?  I understand you have played the campsite before, but not SC.  Icould be completely wrong here but I feel a very cohesive town atmosphere there.
KoL #448

Coulter

• Invested
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2014, 05:27:27 PM »
It could just be that there wasn't a defined town. Yes there is a guild house, a tavern, and a few people up the hill, but at what point does a player leave town? Is it more or less probable to encounter a monster out of town? Or do all of the monster encounters happen in town? Granted the last event was also a period of military service for me, so I only had the ability to play at night, and I did not ask to be shown around the town.

Additionally, this is the view of a new player, and cannot be discounted. Yes an experienced player who has played for many years would have a more complacent feel of what the town is, but in order for our hobby to survive new players must be taken into account. With experienced, established, veteran players leaving, new players must continue to attend and be retained. This issue is at the core of many discussions within our hobby to include discussions about costume standards and bullying.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2014, 05:26:56 PM by Coulter »
Sergeant Aberdeen
27th Regiment, Evendarr Royal Marines
Director, Greyhelm Intelligence Working Group

dukratha

• NERO SC Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2014, 11:43:11 AM »
Nothing really brought it up.  We discussed it a little bit after the last event, and it is something that I've been complaining about since we first started using that site.  It's just a pain for us some times to do what we need to do, when PCs are walking through the monster camp area all the time.
-David Z
NERO SC Staff

Shane Wiley

• Invested
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2014, 04:17:23 PM »
I think moving it down the hill to "Lake Town" would work the best, until they get those in the far area (which is my favorite area) fixed up. The only problem is the fact that most vehicles can barely make it over that giant hump, which makes it much more troublesome to cart your things to your cabin.

And taking from some of the things I've seen done before, I think everyone pitching in and bringing something to decorate their cabin with like a banner, christmas lights, streamers, knickknacks, and things like that WOULD provide a much better ambiance when you walk to your cabin either to sleep or to do business of some sort. That plus the improvements to tavern decorations should give the game as a whole a little bit better atmosphere that would only work to improve the camaraderie we already feel. Which is the goal that I think Coulter was aiming for.

If we're all in one central area, with distinctive decorations that provide atmosphere day or night, then walking to your cabin after slugging it out with monsters all day becomes a much better experience.
Lord Daimos Namyrien Marlowe
Lord Minister of Information of the Barony of Faradhen
Knight Eternal of the Former Knights D'Eit
County Araman
Duchy Tyrangel

Kaeleigh

• Invested
    • View Profile
    • Illusion Crafts
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2014, 05:28:23 PM »
Shane, I completely agree.  The role playing and in game atmosphere make it much more enjoyable for me.  When we ran tavern at Piedmont, we kept everything in game, added lots of decorations just like the Scrawny Pine is doing.  We even brought period feast gear to use!
KoL #448

Trey

• Invested
  • " I am darkness"
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2014, 05:39:47 PM »
I felt like for the number of folks attending. It felt very spread out. Like maybe there needs to be a central town area. Then maybe an outskirts of town etc..  I really feel that designated areas of town would help all concerned. I have only been to one event. And therfore I am by no means an expert on these matters. This is just my two cents. Also I say yes to wifty cabin decoration.
" In honor there is strength"

dukratha

• NERO SC Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2014, 03:50:22 PM »
It seems like the bulk of our PCs stayed in lake town this event.  Did it seem any better or worse than Camp C?  I know we had a few people get stuck, I thank the rain for that.  The Boar stayed at the cabin in Low town, and the walk from there seemed like there was almost no incline.  It is a bit further from monster town, but not much further from the tavern.

If I can get a positive reaction, I would like to close down camp C, and use it for Monster town and PC overflow on big events.  What does everyone think?
« Last Edit: April 24, 2014, 08:57:25 PM by dukratha »
-David Z
NERO SC Staff

Icaryouse

• Invested
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2014, 03:55:20 PM »
I agree.

I think Cabin Group C should be used as an overflow group, only housing PCs when all the other cabins are full. There are roads winding all over the site, and with the exception of torrential flooding, it shouldn't be an issue to use that cabin group exclusively for mods and plot.

- Kyle