login
login
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Racial Skills Changes  (Read 6244 times)

Riyal DeArth

• Invested
    • View Profile
    • facebook
Racial Skills Changes
« on: April 04, 2013, 12:33:58 AM »
I was looking over the PDF for this, and just wanted to know when would all NERO SC (Grayhelm) characters supposed to be fully converted over to this new system?  Do we have any plan of implementation for this in place, such as per-event re-spends (in order to better find the fit just right for each of us  ;) ), or just one and done with the re-spends?  By which gather do we all have to have our characters converted to this new system?

I have included the link from the NERO page with the chart if anyone is interested in seeing it.

http://nerolarp.com/e107_files/public/1359296669_68_FT0_racial_skills_changes_2013_v01.pdf
Riyal De'Arth
Battle-Shaman of Clan De'Arth,
Grandmaster Scroll-Sage,
Salamander Tribe,
Sal-Uruk Mountain Order Over-Tribe

dukratha

• NERO SC Staff
    • View Profile
Re: Racial Skills Changes
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2013, 02:28:46 PM »
Actually, we are waiting on the official version of the racial skills.  The link you posted was just what national put up to get feedback off of.  This packet is good for getting some ideas on where you want to go with your character, but I would not invest too much time or energy, as some things may change.
There will most likely not be many (if any) changes.  There was a lot of negative and positive feedback from this packet.  I am hoping they will make at least a few changes.  And I am certainly hoping they will at least do a more concise rewrite.
The official version was supposed to be posted a few days ago.  I am keeping an eye on it, and will post a link as soon as I see one.
As far as I know, we do not have a choice about an implementation date.  When the official packet is released, it becomes errata to the core, and goes into effect for all chapters.  (I could be wrong, but I doubt it.)  Otherwise, it would be difficult to keep a consistent game environment (like when some chapters transitioned to 9th while others held on to 8th).
-David Z
NERO SC Staff

Riyal DeArth

• Invested
    • View Profile
    • facebook
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2013, 04:35:04 PM »
Alright.  Thanks for clarifying that for me and any others who were curious on it, Z.  It looked like it was going to be a bunch of different skills with no advantages or disadvantages other than the amount of role-playing and costuming (make-up and prosthetics) you were willing to put up with.  I will keep an eye out to see what comes up, though.
Riyal De'Arth
Grandmaster Scroll-Sage,
Salamander Tribe,

Shane Wiley

• Invested
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2013, 05:33:54 PM »
Lord Daimos Namyrien Marlowe
Lord Minister of Information of the Barony of Faradhen
Knight Eternal of the Former Knights D'Eit
County Araman
Duchy Tyrangel

dukratha

• NERO SC Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2013, 08:03:37 PM »
Thanks, I was just logging on to post the link.
I wish I had seen it yesterday.
-David Z
NERO SC Staff

dukratha

• NERO SC Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2013, 08:10:34 PM »
Also, I will be looking this packet over tonight and should be able to answer any questions about it tomorrow.
And again, if anyone wants some help with a spirit forge or race change feel free to let me know.  I don't have access to your character on the database, but if you provide me with your build total, and a little bit about what you'd like, I can point you in the right direction.

Here is a link to an updated character builder with the new skills.
http://coreykump.com/ncc

As far as I know the National Database is not yet up to date enough to support these changes.
-David Z
NERO SC Staff

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2013, 07:01:58 PM »
As a chapter owner, I am not particularly thrilled with this playtest and don't see a lot of reasons to use this playtest in SC. However, I would welcome feedback on what everyone else thinks. I want the chapter to be fun for all the players.

Steve

Riyal DeArth

• Invested
    • View Profile
    • facebook
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2013, 10:55:30 AM »
Just looking at it from a brass tacks perspective, I am trying to figure out what are the real pros vs. cons for playing different races now.  Before, there were some things that one could do a bit easier (such as elves with bows) or harder to do (Dwarves and Cel Magic).  Now, with this new re-write, other than a few racial abilities which lean towards all races being about equal, it kind of make me wonder why play a different race at all when they are all about the same with varying degrees of make-up....at least until you dig around extensively on forums out of game to figure out how to play the culture of the races.  In this new re-write, it seems orcs, barbarians, and ogres can be celestial scholars with NO difficulty, hoblings can be fighters, biatas can use cel magic....(unless you are going to be more strict on following the various created supplemental racial culture packets.

(Looking at this, I can make Riyal into a Celestial Templar, or just not wear make-up (and thus top being an Orc to become a default human) and get all my present Orc abilities as a baseline Human with the Strong trait)

It seemed to me the current race options with both flaws and advantages worked fine and everyone understood them without much complaint, but maybe I am missing something and would love to catch enlightenment if I am missing something here completely.
Riyal De'Arth
Grandmaster Scroll-Sage,
Salamander Tribe,

DaveC

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2013, 05:44:59 PM »
Does the Strong trait Slay count towards Blade Fury(s)?

Dave

DaveC

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2013, 05:49:31 PM »

Dave

Never mind. Just read the updated packet and it says it works exactly the same as a Master Critical Slay which should mean it counts towards Blade Fury.

Riyal DeArth

• Invested
    • View Profile
    • facebook
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2013, 09:11:50 PM »

Dave

Never mind. Just read the updated packet and it says it works exactly the same as a Master Critical Slay which should mean it counts towards Blade Fury.

That would be scary cool, but might want to check on that to be sure, as it shoud work like the standard barbarian slay in the book, just that it can be used like a master slay in that it can be used with any weapon, not be counted towards the master slay blade fury count (similar to racial/hobling dodge, FAST Trair Dodge, and FAST Trait Back Attack (backstab) counting towards Dodge/Assassinate and Backstab respectively.

However, I could be wrong, and i see every Human fighter suddenly buying the Strong trait to get that cheap bonus slay (w/o the weapo prof pre-reqs for blade fury). :o
Riyal De'Arth
Grandmaster Scroll-Sage,
Salamander Tribe,

dukratha

• NERO SC Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2013, 11:34:34 PM »
By the letter of the rule since the spirit of it cannot be determined, the racial slays and dodges will count towards your blade fury count.  All the rules pertaining to racial abilities are void under this playtest.  The wording of this slay states that it works exactly as a master slay.  No other restrictions seem to apply.  It doesn't mention that it cannot be used as a parry (like dodge says it cannot be used as an assassinate) but considering it is a two part skill, I would say, it cannot act as a parry.

Steve, unfortunately, I think this playtest may be mandatory.

Jerry.  If you decide to play a human, I would suggest you choose a skill group that provides much easier access to skills which are not primary to your class.  As a fighter, it does not cost too much build to purchase proficiencies and slays, however, it is quite costly to purchase some of the skills available in some of these other groups.  I would be surprised if I find many non-rogue humans who don't choose Stealth.  Dodge and light touch can be quite effective.  But then again, there are some good resists in other skill groups which they might find more effective.
For a rogue human, I would suggest something other than stealth, since they already have easy access to stealth skills.
-David Z
NERO SC Staff

Riyal DeArth

• Invested
    • View Profile
    • facebook
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2013, 12:18:40 AM »
That is a valid suggestion Z, and probably one alot of people will probably shoot for in order to have things from multiple classes (as alot of people have suggested I take that Survivor Trait, even though I don't see it in MY concept for Riyal), but since i don't normally use the Rogue stuff anyways...and 10 points for a slay versus 40 is always very enticing..as well as the 10 point +1 prof to all weapons I use....but that is just me, as if I were to play a jack of all trades, I would probably just play a Templar anyways.  Now if they added an ability to free cast extra spells a day....then I might consider looking at the cross-stuff a bit more :P
Riyal De'Arth
Grandmaster Scroll-Sage,
Salamander Tribe,

Anne

• NERO SC Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2013, 04:43:15 PM »
As long as the play test is not mandatory, my understanding is it will not be in effect this upcoming event. Because we don't want people to re spend their build and then the race packet get changed and have to do it again.
Anne
Co Owner
Head of Plot

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2013, 06:04:56 PM »
As far as a chapter is concerned, the new racial playtest isn't a huge deal.. a few extra details to keep in mind. But as a player, especially speaking as a dwarf, the playtest is horrible! There go my nice Smithy refits! I agree with Riyal, it makes playing a make-up race nothing more than a chore you have to do for the roleplay. But unfortunately, this isn't the place for debate.

For now, no racial playtest for NeroSC. I will announce it when and if this changes. Till then, let the good times roll!

Steve